Monday, June 28, 2021

Antelope Flats

 This is an area about ten miles from us called Antelope Flats. Appropriately named, it is a flat area at the edge of the reservoir and antelope can be seen frequently.






Then Bonnie and I hiked the trail up towards the dam which is a distance of 7.2 miles.  However, we could only go about 2.25 miles because the Department of Fish and Wildlife authorized the release of 4600 cubic feet per second of water to try to flush out the spawning areas of small mouth bass so the water was too high for us to go any farther.  Small mouth bass are very predatory towards trout and their eggs.  The normal release rate from the dam is 860 cubic feet per second.  Here are a few pics from that hike.







OBSERVATION: 
One nice benefit of selling passes at the booth is nearly everyone that comes through is anticipating a wonderful recreation experience.  It's sort of like the Disney World for people who enjoy the outdoors. 

But one thing I have noticed is the difference between men and women when it comes to buying a day pass.  A man will pull up to the window and say "I want to fish" or "I want to picnic with my kids", to which I reply "ok, a day pass is $5".  Men will simply pay the $5.  By contrast, a woman will pull up to the window and say "I just want to picnic" to which I reply "ok, a day pass is $5."  Then the woman will say "well I don't want to fish", to which I reply "ok, a day pass is still $5."  Then she will say, "I don't want to hike" or "I don't want to put my feet in the water."  or "where else can I get a pass?" Now most women do NOT do this but the point I am making is that if there is any push back or any resistance, from my experience here, it is going to come from a woman.


2 comments:

  1. I don't why but that makes me laugh. I am sure you are your gracious self and just smile at them right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really funny! I'm enjoying your blog and pictures. Such beautiful places to visit!!

    ReplyDelete