Sunday, July 9, 2017

Glacier NP - second part

The rest of our time in Glacier was spend on a few other different hikes. One of my all time favorite hikes was the one to Crypt Lake that Bonnie and I did about 16 years ago. This one is actually on the Canadian side of Glacier NP called Waterton International Peace Park. Canada is celebrating 150 years of their natioal park system so everyone visiting a Canadian National Park this year gets free admission.  Crypt Lake is the one where you hike to a certain point and then you have to climb a steel ladder up to a tunnel. Then you go through this tunnel that has a decreasing size opening on the other end.  I  can't get through the tunnel with the my backpack on, so I have to take it off and either throw it ahead of me or drag it behind me because the opening gets pretty small.  When you get through the tunnel, you come out onto a ledge that has a cable strung through eyebolts that are embedded in the rock so you can hold on because on the other side is a shear cliff that just goes straight down. I didn't get a picture of that because it's hard to take a picture when you're holding on to grandchildren and assuring that you don't slip your self. Thie picture below is my 9 year old grandson, Hunter, on the steel ladder just before entering the tunnel.



In the next picture below you can see Bonnie, Hunter and Logan getting ready to enter the tunnel and you can see a small light at the other end of the tunnel. 


The next several pictures are views from the trail on the way to Crypt Lake and when we got to Crypt Lake.


The next several pictures are taken from the road while driving through Glacier National Park

1 comment:

  1. such awesome pics! I never get tired of seeing that scenery! Marie

    ReplyDelete